Wednesday, July 15, 2015

T13: Post-Apocalyptic

The post-apocalyptic genre has been quite popular since the Hunger Games (I'm not going to include the Hunger Games in this list, because 1) it's the criterion with which many people judge post-apocalyptic YA and 2) there are so many other books that deserve a spot on my top thirteen list). Personally, I find that most post-apocalyptic books are  repetitive and boring, often with quite similar approaches. Below are thirteen post-apocalyptic YA books that I believe are engaging and unique. 
Click on the title for more information!
(And BTW, they are NOT in any order)



“The cheetah. Ate. My finger.” The girl looks at each of us.“That’s what you’re telling me? That Jaxon’s Pandora ate the pinkie from my right hand? My writing hand?”
“To be fair, he won it from M-4.” 





“It's always the fear of looking stupid that stops you from being awesome.” 

“We believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.”




“My friends call me Wrath,” says Raffe. “My enemies call me Please Have Mercy. What’s your name, soldier boy?”


“If you want to rebel, rebel from inside the system.That's much more powerful than rebelling outside the system.”


“Even in the Future the Story Begins with Once Upon a Time.” 



***yes this book is both a fairy-tale retelling aand a post-apocalyptic, quite unique


“You can't be happy unless you're unhappy sometimes."



“Perhaps the logical conclusion of everyone looking the same is everyone thinking the same.” 



“The lesser of two evils was still evil.” 









The Ward by Jordana Frankel


"To pass the time, I try and imagine what the Ward was like pre- Wash Out, before ocean levels rose and contaminated underground fresh."




“How can we understand what we’ve never experienced and adapt without making mistakes?”




“We're pieces on a gameboard, Dr. March, and some of us are more powerful than others. You. Me. Her. We're the ones the gods want. We're the ones they're fighting over.”


“The funny thing about facing imminent death is that it really snaps everything else into perspective.”